Monday, October 20, 2014

Prepared To Serve The Lord

Hello Everyone!
Another week here and gone. Things are so wondeful here in Cumming, fall is in full swing and the weather couldn't be better! I love this time of the year in the South. We had a lot of good things happen in the past seven days, but at the same time some of the days were long. We had a lot of appointmetns fall through, a few rude people here and there, and of course a lot of knocking doors. That's life though... and it made the really fantastic things that happened even better.
Last week we met an athiest young man. He told us he wasn't interested in God but after I bore my testimony to him he said we could come back and that he would "give our message a shot". We went and taught him and it was great. He said he doesn't have a full desire but that he is willing to do what we invite him to do, just to see if he can feel something or come to know something about our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We talked a lot about darkness, and even he referred to his beliefs as "the dark side". We were able to teach him that darkness doesn't actually exist, it's just an absense of light. I pray that he will be able to come to not only feel of the light of the Gospel, but know it as well!!
One day we went knocking doors. No one was receptive. As we were about to go get in our car and head to dinner... someone walking around the neighborhood called out to us, "hey.. are you Jehovas Witneses?" we replied no, we are mormons.. and then he proceeded to come towards us. We stood off the road and taught him about our beliefs and set up a return appointment; last night we were able to go and teach him (Mike) and his parents! Mike is searching for truth and he has found it! The lesson went great, and not only was he receptive... but so were his parents! Those who are seeking will find the Gospel. We may not knock on their door, but the Lord will time it perfectly so that people can come to know of Gospel truths, even if they are just out for a walk!
So this morning we were asked to go to seminary and share our testimonies on how we were prepared for our missions. As I pondered over that... I realized that it wasn't just one thing that prepared me, instead it was hundreds of little things along the way that got me to the point where I would be able to serve a mission. And even then, was I fully prepared? Are we ever fully prepared for what the Lord needs us to do?  In D&C Section 35: 13-14 the Lord states, "Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thresh the nations by the power of my Spirit. And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I preserve them."
We rely on the Lord. That is what makes us prepared. He takes our weak things, and makes them strong. He is the preparer.
As I prepare to go home in the next few days...what I didn't prepare for and what I didn't realize was how impactful this time has been for me personally. I had the highest hope that I would be able to serve the Lord, His children here, and my family and hopefully bless each of them; but at no point did I prepare for the blessings that would come to me.
When I made the choice forever long ago to serve a mission I felt that it was my duty. At no point was it an option, but almost an obligation. I truly felt called. I felt that I would be able to hopefully use this time to give my gratitude back to the Lord for blessing me.
It's best explained like this....
"I grabbed the food that was in my pantry and cubboards and took it all to give to a foodbank so that people who needed it would be able to have it. As the garbage sacks full of the canned goods and boxed meals emptied the back of my car my heart was full. The song "Because I have been given much I too must give" ran through my head. After taking the last load into my brothers and sisters who were hungry I hopped in my car and returned home. When I got out of the car I went to grab my purse, but I found that the back seat as well as the turnk was completely full of new groceries and five times more food than I had given. Because I gave what little I had, the Lord has given me far more than I could have ever dreamed of."
This my friends, is the beauty of the Gospel. I don't think there is anything any of us can do to prepare for the blessings that come as we rely on the Lord. I only know, that I am prepared to serve the Lord and do all that he asks so that I can feel of the goodness and light that has been poured on me over the last 18 months for the rest of eternity.I know that this is His work. He has been my constant companion through the ups and downs. He loves these people more than I know how to express, I can feel that love daily. He wants to bless us and help us along our journeys. His whole hope and existence revlolves around us. I am forever grateful that I have had the opportunity to wear his name and do my best to represent Him. It has been the greatest honor and happiness of my entire life.
10 days more.
I love you all
Godbless and Godspeed!
-Sister Beasley

No comments:

Post a Comment