Monday, June 17, 2013

Out Two Months Now and Going Strong!


To my wonderful friends and family,
How is everyone? No but really... just because I am 2,000 miles away doesn't mean that I don't want to hear about what you are up to! Please write me and tell me what is going on. I love you all too much to be in the dark, (even though I am completely surrounded by light out here!)
This was a tough week and when I got the call last Sunday about my Granny passing, I knew that the next seven days would be rough, but there were a lot of good things and a lot memories that I will cherish!
 So, remember how I got called to the Georgia Atlanta North Mission? Well I'M STAYING HERE! They split the mission to add the Macon mission back in and there was a large chunk of the missionaries from this area going to the new mission, it was a huge relief when I found out I would be staying here. I LOVE IT HERE! I am still in Johns Creek and will be at least for the next month! Last week was transfers week which means you get a new companion or area and luckily both Sister Hamilton and I will be here for another six weeks which is the best because honestly, this is the greatest area ever!
Being in the South you would think that I would be eating a lot of pulled pork and fried chicken. Well I'm just here to tell you that if you were to judge my diet based on the last week you would have thought that I got called to Asia. Did I eat Thai food? Yes. Did I eat AUTHENTIC Chinese food at a Chinese Market that had Crawdads crawling on the floor? Yes. Did I eat at an all you can eat Korean BBQ? (where I ate squid?) Yes. Did I eat Pho - which is pronounced FUH? Yes. Am I still alive after all of this? Yes. :)
This large amount of Asian food may stem from the fact that we are still teaching Coco English. SHE IS SO SWEET! We are seeing such an improvement in her and know that she is retaining a lot of it. Even just from the last time we saw her we are so impressed! Her and her husband Rock will be baptized the last Saturday of the month. (I will send you pictures.) They took us to dinner twice this week and at on the dinners we asked what his favorite part has been to learn about. He said the plan of salvation and the view of the family. That was so sweet to me. I love these people so much!!
This week we went on team-ups with two Sisters in the ward; we haven't done this yet so that was awesome! It was good to get out with Sisters from the ward to teach... it makes you feel a little more involved and in the ward!
As I have told you before, we are doing a lot of work with less-actives. This week we had almost 4 people come to church that we've been working with which was a huge blessing. We visit a Sister named Geraldine Johnson - she is a beautiful black lady from South Georgia. She has been a member since '98 but doesn't have a great knowledge of the gospel... last week we stopped by to see her and gave her a book of Mormon, well, when we met with her this week she said that for the first time ever she has a desire to go to the temple! Which was something we wanted to talk to her about. How great is that?!
Another experience... we have been meeting with a man named Jesse. He is Muslim and just kind of open to learning about anything. I'm not sure how truly interested he is but we have continued working with him. The second time we went to his home he asked us to bring a DVD so we took the restoration. After it was over he said it was a beautiful story... which it is, but it isn't beautiful because it's a cool story; its beautiful because it is true! My testimony of the Gospel is growing everyday and I am just so thankful to have this "good news".
Ok. So now that I've told you a list of good things, I'll just tell you about one "funny" story... and by funny, I mean the "not-so-glam". So, one day last week Sister Hamilton and I decided to bike. I'm not gonna lie, I don't exactly love biking. When we finally got to where we needed to be I locked up my bike and something malfunctioned with the lock. To make a long story short, after many hours of trying to get it un-done/trying to knock doors and find people we finally had to call someone from the ward and get a huge wire cutter to break through the lock. The good news in the story was that Elder Robinson had an extra bike lock and so I don't have to buy a new one. :) So is missionary work glam? No. Is every minute spiritual? No. But the good moments, the moments where you know that you are helping people grow closer to Christ end up mattering a lot more than the moments where you can't get your bike from the light pole and you want to lay down and die... right there in the middle of a Korean neighborhood.
I love this work! Today marks 2 months! Time is flying by and I am just so grateful to have this be my life right now. Keep doing great things. Keep being strong.
I love you all!
Sister Beasley

No comments:

Post a Comment