Monday, March 31, 2014

Let Him In

Friends and Family

Have I mentioned how much I love this mission? Have I mentioned how much I love Georgia? Have I mentioned how much I love the people here in the South? Have I mentioned how much I love my companion? Have I mentioned how much I love Dacula? If I haven't... I'm here right now, this very minute, to express the crazy amount of gratitude I have for all that has happened, is happening, and will continue to happen here. Miracles and tender mercies seem to take up most of the time everyday. Serving a mission is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Now, don't get me wrong... there are hardships and trails and all the rest of the stuff that comes along with a life-changing experiences, but there is simply nothing better. The little bits of bitter are nothing... literally nothing compared to the sweetness. Sweetness comes in all forms out here, it comes from someone recognizing you in the grocery store, someone politely saying no to hearing more but saying they will pray for you, kind members, late night chats with your companion, feeling the Spirit like never before, having your faith in the Gospel turn to a Knowledge, but mostly... it comes from watching someone truly "Come Unto Christ."
This week Sonia was baptized. As we met with her throughout the week I felt more and more of the love the Savior and our Heavenly Father have for her. As we left one of our last lessons before the baptism, I felt the Spirit like never before in my life and it was so strongly, because of love. The best part about being a representative of Jesus Christ is watching how people change, once the Gospel is in someones life they literally look different! 
The baptism was on Saturday and she had so much support and love from the ward! Everything went so well... and even some of her family who has had bad feelings about her joining the church came. She was so sweet all dressed in white and her grand kids were right there to witness it all! She told us about an experience that she had... and that all week she had been praying for more peace. She knew this was the right thing to do but just wanted her family to support her. She got off the phone with one of her kids who said they wouldn't come and was crying.. and her grandsons (ages 5 & 7) were in the back of the car asking what is wrong with her... she said she didn't want to talk about it. A few minutes passed and one of them said to her "Grandma, you are lucky.. because you have us... and we have your back." She said it was the answer she had been looking for. The baptism was beautiful and the confirmation was as well.... it was our fast and testimony meeting and she looked at me and said "I'm going up!" ... and she did! She marched right up there and shared a powerful testimony of her knowing that this is what she needed to do... she talked about her experience with her Grandsons.... and then told her ward family that she would need help as she continues to learn. She ended with a Praise the Lord... and it was the sweetest testimony in the world.
At the end of the day Sonia said something to me I will never forget, six words that will have more meaning and worth than anything else... "Thank you for ringing my doorbell." With that, I walked away from the church so humbled and so grateful and so indebted to my Savior Jesus Christ.
My mind went to the picture of Christ, knocking on the door that doesn't have a a handle from the outside. I know that He is standing at each of our doors, wanting to be let it to share the joy and peace that comes from following Him. Sometimes the knock, or ring, that comes from Him isn't loud or harsh... but it will "pierce those that hear to the center, insomuch that there will be no part of their frame that doesn't quake; souls will be pierced and hearts will burn." 
What a blessing it is that He is there for us and for our families. All we have to do is open the door. Let Him In.

Godbless & Godspeed
-Sister Beasley

No comments:

Post a Comment